Job Title: REACH Breastfeeding Consultant
Reports to: REACH Program Coordinator
Summary: The REACH Breastfeeding Consultant assists with planning and support for The Wellness Coalition’s Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) cooperative agreement. The REACH cooperative agreement serves a priority population of low-income African Americans living in 42 census tracts in Lowndes, Macon, and Montgomery counties, including both rural and urban environments. The consultant’s work includes the development of assessments to identify breastfeeding barriers and the creation of breastfeeding education campaigns. The Breastfeeding Consultant also provides technical assistance to the REACH program and evaluation teams in meeting goals within the REACH Work Plan. In addition, the consultant works collaboratively with community partners to provide support. This is a contract position. Terms are negotiable.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Consult on the design of focus group meetings and surveys to assess barriers to breastfeeding among a priority population.
- Consult on a plan to conduct culturally appropriate breastfeeding education for mothers and their support systems.
- Assist REACH Team in developing, testing, and implementing training materials to empower community members to support breastfeeding parents, families, and support systems.
- Assist REACH Team in developing, testing, and implementing training materials to assist faith-based organizations and small businesses in establishing and incorporating breastfeeding-friendly policies, using existing intervention resources.
- Attend REACH team meetings and conference calls as necessary.
Must have a Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field and/or CCL (Certified Lactation Counselor) and/or significant job-related experience. Preferred candidate displays cultural competency and experience working with the priority population. Applicants should be knowledgeable of breastfeeding and of resources available within the River Region. Applicants must be able to communicate effectively in written and spoken word, able to work independently, computer literate and well organized. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends. Must possess a valid driver’s license.