Joining a fitness center can be an intimidating process that is made even more challenging with high fees and limited access due to location. The Wellness Coalition is partnering with health and fitness centers in Montgomery, Macon and Lowndes counties to provide reduced-cost memberships for select residents.
Currently, HSI Wellness Centers offer affordable rates to the public and no contract agreement is required. Additional discounts are available to HSI patients. Please contact the locations below about availability:
River Region Wellness Center (HSI)
1765 Plum St
Montgomery, AL 36107
Open Monday thru Friday 6am – 8pm
And Saturday 9am – 2pm
Hayneville Wellness Center (HSI)
10 Pine Street
Hayneville, AL 36040
.Open Monday thru Friday 6am – 8pm
What to wear
- Make sure to wear comfortable attire that does not restrict body movements.
- Closed toe sneakers or athletic shoes should be worn at all times. Choose your shoes based on what kind of exercises you will be doing. For example, if you want to do more cardio exercises, then going for jogging shoes will be a great idea.
- Choose a lightweight t-shirt or a sweat shirt. It should be made of breathable material like cotton.
- Wear normal cotton gym shorts or pants. These should at the most extend one inch below the knees. These shorts should not be tight around the waist, so elastic shorts will be more comfortable. Even cotton track pants can also be worn if you feel shy in shorts. Athletic stretch pants are okay as well.
- Bring a soft towel to wipe your sweat every now and then. You don’t want to leave your sweat on the seat of a machine
What to bring with you
To enroll: you’ll need your driver’s license and payment (no cash; only debit/credit, money order or check. Checks must be above #300)
Daily: It is not recommended to bring anything of value inside the fitness center as they are not liable for any lost, stolen or damaged items. Just make sure you don’t forget your towel or your motivation!
You’re in. Now what?
Many of us feel overwhelmed by everything going on in fitness centers. There are just so many choices. Speak with a staff member about scheduling 3 training sessions at time of your sign up. They can give you a tour, explain and demonstrate how to use each piece of equipment, and provide you with an individualized workout plan.
Although fitness centers can all look very different, for the most part, they all have the same services such as:
- Fitness classes
- Health workshops
- Fitness assessment
- 3 training sessions with staff
- Workout plan